Charging Gel Cells . . .

---------

From: Michael D Wyman (Michael_D_Wyman@ccm.hf.intel.com)
Date: Mon Oct 04 1993 - 20:00:28 EDT


        I have experienced in the past that over charging Gel Cells can be fatal
to the life of the cell. If the battery charger that you are using is a Trickle
Charger and will limit the current then it will work ok. It is best however to
use a charger that provides a constant charge at about 1/10th the rating of the
battery.

        From experience I wiped out 3 Delco Voyager Deep cycle batteries because
the Solar cell I was using was providing to much current and boiling the battery
away! The other solution to the charge problem is to go back to the old
reliable wet cell (Sulfuric Acid and Distilled water).

        Hope that helps . . . de Mike WB1CWD


Search QRP-L Archives

[ QRP-L Archive | ]
[ 1993 | 1994 | 1995 | 1996 | 1997 | 1998 | 1999 | 2000 ]

---------

This archive was generated by hypermail 2b29 on Fri Jun 02 2000 - 11:26:18 EDT

kd4ab@kd4ab.org